The GrandView was originally opened in 1884 as a hotel and tavern to serve the Mount Hamilton Stage coach which scheduled trips between San Jose and the James Lick Observatory.
The stage line was motorized in 1911 which caused the GrandView to close it’s doors. The house reopened in 1934 and continued to operate as a tavern until a fire destroyed the building on a windy day in February 1942. Forestry crews watched helplessly as the inferno consumed the structure.
The GrandView was quickly rebuilt on the same site. In 1954 , the GrandView moved across the street to the present location. On November 7th, 1956, the tavern was again destroyed by fire. Many valuable relics and antiquities were lost in the pre-dawn blaze.
Within a year, the current structure was erected and reopened with the name ‘The GrandView Restaurant’. For the next 40 years, Lucy and Nino lovingly ran the GrandView.
The tradition of the resaturaunt was turned over to the Carrubba brothers in May, 2014. The splendor of the historic site was revived and reopened for the Christmas Holiday season that same year. The historic site that has been a destination for over 100 years has a fresh new look steeped in tradition.
In July 2015, the venue is now open for a luxurious Sunday Brunch. The menue is served to guests from 10am through 2pm. Patrons can select from a exclusive choice of entrees, a’la carte items as well as a lineup of amazing Bloody Marys. Please make your reservations early, as seating is limited.